Sunday, October 3, 2010

Design; verb or noun?


           According to the dictionary, design is both a noun, and a verb. I agree that the word fits both categories however; in my experience with my own design I want it to be more like a verb. An action. An interaction, of the original “finished” design, and those that live within the space or with the product. I design interior spaces; my designs are meant to be interactive. I want people to live in the spaces I create. Gain something from it and put their own fingerprint on the space. I want them to be inspired to use the space in new ways everyday. This means it is ever changing, thus, an action.
            I feel like this holds true for a variety of modes of design. We design objects for people to use and make their life better in some way. We could set out to make an everyday product easier to use, or just better looking. Sure we consider the practicality of the item during the design process but we never have full control of the variety of possibilities. Humans are masters at unique interactions. We could never predict the millions of possible end results of our designs. In this way, we must accept that design is an ever-changing action, something we must do!

No comments:

Post a Comment